5/18/07

Design shows- good or evil?

I guess people are getting more of a sense of the profession of interior design by the media.

There are so many do it yourself, re-design, makeover and real estate shows out there now that are really making everyone more aware of design. They are good in that way, but there are some not so good things about them.

1. It's so easy to do- anyone can do it!

I realize it's not rocket science but there's a lot more to interior design than putting this pillow here and that fake plant there. Even if you're on a budget, getting an interior designer's help is worth every penny- even if it's just for a consultation.

A designer can help you avoid costly mistakes for one thing (buying furniture that's too big for the room, painting the wrong color, putting the wrong type of carpeting on steps...). They have access to resources a consumer might not necessarily have (furniture manufacturers, lighting companies, accessories, flooring, custom furniture makers, antiques, art consultants...). They have a unique eye for things such as rearranging a floor plan, what type of window treatment would help finish off the space, what architectural details would enhance the feel of the home, etc..

2. The quick fix- you have 2 days (or less) to makeover 2 rooms!! Let's see what we can come up with for under $500!

Hey, that's great- I'm not saying anything bad about having budgets or time constraints. If the design is a good one you can spend a little in a short amount of time and make it look like a million bucks. But the outcome on some of these shows are just so ridiculous!

Do you ever notice the paint job itself? Even the roller they're using? The window treatments are skimpy, if even there at all.. Not only that- I've seen a few hosts of these shows take stuff out of the peoples backyards (trash cans, flower pots) to use as end tables etc.. I mean, come on! I realize a budget is a budget but how far do you want to go to save a few bucks?? and don't even get me started on Hildi and Doug from Trading Spaces!!!

My problem with those types of shows is it's not reality (what reality show is though?). They do outrageous things for ratings- I get that, but more importantly, they are sacrificing good design. In that way they make interior design seem like a joke.

I do like some of the design shows out there, I admit. The following are closer to how interior designers really work- not totally, but pretty close:

Designers Challenge- good for showing the design process, interesting to see 3 designers perspectives of the same room

Designing for the Sexes- good show about compromise, which designers deal with a lot- not just between husbands and wives, but between designer and client. Also with materials selection, window treatment styles, space planning etc...

Trading Spaces (only Laurie's work. The end result of her work looks so much more sophisticated and finished than the other designers', and she has the same time restraints and budget.. go figure. Vern is OK too. I don't even know if they are on the show anymore. I haven't watched it in years...)

Hidden Potential- shows how redesigning a space can make it more functional and attractive to potential home buyers

Designed to Sell- shows what a difference the details make when you are trying to sell your home

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Design shows have their benefits but they also don't always depict the true nature of what an interior designer can do for you.

People should watch them for their entertainment value (which I think most people do) and maybe get some ideas from them, and then go out and hire a professional Interior Designer!!